Wednesday, January 13, 2010

More Yasmin Ahmad and Muallaf

I made arrangements for the children to be picked up by their sibling so that I can go and watch this movie. God I miss Yasmin Ahmad. Her signature opening of In the name Of Allah the Most Gracious the Most Merciful also in Chinese opened the floodgates of my emotion. Tears just poured out and I was sniffling throughout the movie. I never knew her personally but I feel a certain connection with her one way or the other. I cannot imagine why this story was banned in the first place in Malaysia and why some dialogue was muted..all in all it was really great, and I seriously thing that all Malaysians should watch this.

Here is the trailer


Here is Yasmin's synopsis, which I picked from her blog..(God I miss her so much..I know I am saying it again)
20-year old Rohani and her 14-year old sister Rohana are two Malay girls on the run from their wealthy, abusive father.

Finding refuge in a smaller town, their secret little world collides
with that of Robert Ng, a 30-year old Catholic school teacher.

The young man finds himself irresistibly drawn towards the sisters, and the extraordinary courage with which they face adversity, in a relationship that inevitably forces Robert to confront a haunting memory of his own troubled childhood.

In this story of lost souls who find comfort in each other, friendship opens the window to forgiveness and a reconciliation with the past.

If you watch this video, and its ensuing series, you will also know that it also contains snippets of her life story :) My children can also relate to some of the scenes. Yasmin, you are such a beautiful person and you are so sorely missed.


If you can't watch the above video, click on this youtube link

2 comments:

Jane said...

Looks like a powerful movie. I'm glad you got some time to yourself to go see it!

ummi said...

Yasmin always makes simple movies fraught with messaged. Yes Jane, indeed it is a powerful one, touching on local social issues, which like a hologram also reflects global prejudicial issues. She is gone now..there will not be poignant tales told her way anymore