Sunday, January 04, 2009

Cool restaurant, cold waiters..



The buntings outside says Introductory Offer..Fish and Chips and Chicken Chop for half the price. Mariam and I thought..why not give it a shot. The restaurant looks chic.
We stepped in. The song of Pussycat Dolls floated out as we opened the glass door. Not the best kind of music to aid digestion, I thought..but nevermind. The black and white modern decore was pleasing to the eye and evoked a sense of class. The air was cool and pleasant. The greeting from the waiters ...chilly.

Nobody batted an eye lash at us. I had this sensation as if I have just snuck into a nice home, unwelcomed. We found a table we liked and made ourselves comfortable. At a corner two young malay men were sitting and chatting while eating nasi campur. It was 11 am in the morning but I guess some people prefer to have a heavy brunch. They were wearing black collared t-shirt with black trousers and had black aprons a cursived "Splendid" embroidered on their lapels. Uniform as classy as its interior. It was a good 10 minutes before an expressionless waiter presented us with the menu. “Apa yang sedap (What’s nice?)”, I asked him. His expression remained the same. "Cake ni sedap tak (Is this cake nice?)", He didn't answer. I was beginning to wonder if he just had his botox shot, or if he had some facial palsy. “Mestila awak kena kata sedap kan? Sebab awak kerja di sini (Surely you have to say it's nice, since you work here, right?) ” He gave me a half grin..ahh he CAN smile, I thought. I looked at Mariam and we smiled a private smile. We placed our order and he left.

I thought..forget the treatment, perhaps I can use this place to journal and read my book in the morning....just as that thought crossed my mind..the peaceful ambiance, flavoured by Pussycat Dolls’ songs was smashed to smitherins by a cackle of laughter and loud banterings at the cashier’s counter. The two waiters had finished eating and were teasing the girl at the counter loudly.

Classy decore, beautiful ambiance..all that for what..I am sure the restaurant owner had invested a hefty amount to garnish it with everything pleasing to the eyes, yet I wonder how much was spent to spruce up the most important element; the human factor. Did he take the trouble to make his staff feel proud to wear the restaurant’s uniform, so they act with respectful decorum when they adorn the restaurant's official attire. I also wonder what happened to the simple friendly gesture of smiling, and greeting guests, we asians are so famous for. Perhaps so much of our noble values are spent in our zealous chase of everything material.

7 comments:

Mat Cendana said...

Was about to leave the laptop to go read "The Four Agreements" when I `made the mistake' of glancing through the status updates at Facebook and saw `something'. Suddenly there are more frequent post at this blog:-)

Would it be the last time you'll go there? Or do they deserve another chance - maybe six months after this. If they're still around. "Repeat customers" is what restaurants need. If the service that you and Mariam had received is the norm, I don't think they'll be around for too long.

Yes, unfortunate for the owner - might actually be a very nice guy. But that's how things go...

ummi said...

Thank you Mat. I think the boy IS a nice guy. He is probably just nervous :)
His plight was just his bad luck since I was armed with my journal and I decided to write, hehe poor guy.
I also wanted to point out how simple things we Malays are so known for such as being gracious, smiling, honouring guests, etc has fizzled out with time..and it saddens me.
Perhaps, I will not walk into the restaurant again..since there are many other choices..and the food wasn't that great either...

sherry said...

Salam.........

@MC....'made the mistake'??????????eiii...

ummi said...

Thanks for visiting, dear Sheryy

Mat Cendana said...

@Sherry
Yes, my dear sister; it *was* a mistake. Yes, I know you're laughing:-) Tapi betul ni... It's my "prone to distraction" at work there. I already had a plan - to read the book. Suddenly, it changed - just like that. Or at least "diverted temporarily". `Kuat' betul pukulan distraction yang ni, ye;-)

Pak Zawi said...

Ummi,
Just followed MC footsteps to here. It seems the easiest way to find nice blogs to read is to go to where he goes.
It is sheer folly for someone with money to go into a business without really doing the groundwork and study an established business models. My previous association with Shell Malaysia has taught me that they will study even such fast food companies like Mac Donald to learn something to be applied at their their filling stations. Shell tried to inculcate the habit of greetings and smiling by their front liners. They invested alot on training and retraining their dealers and workers. Anybody who is going into business, any business for that matter that deals with the public must learn the basic of treating their customers well. Customers are always right is a good motto to have.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....