Sunday, May 17, 2009

The falcon that wouldn't fly


I once had a conversation with a new found friend on Facebook. He extended his hands and ears as comfort for poor single mother me. I told him that I abhor sympathy, because it makes me feel small and incapable. I understand people are only trying to help. Feeling small immobilise me and acts as a lid preventing me from reaching for the stars...a feat I am slowly beginning to believe is achievable...I still feel small sometimes, because there are some people I still owe and there are times when I still need to ask for help from others. However this occasion is getting less and less.
During this conversation, I asked him whether he has heard about the story of the falcon which refused to fly. I didn't manage to tell him, and think I owe him the story.

Once there was a king who was given 2 falcons as a gift. These falcons were mere chicks when they were lovingly placed in a gilded cage and presented to him. Both were nurtured with love and patience by the Royal Falcon Trainer.

Months and days passed, and the day finally came when the birds were ready to take their first flight. However, only one bird mastered the feat. It flew majestically as falcons should, while the other just stood on its branch and watched. The trainer was puzzled ..nothing he tried worked. More months and days passed and finally the Royal Falcon Trainer had to reveal the problem to the king. The king, a reasonable monarch and an animal lover summoned sorcerers, shamans, circus trainers and people from every other possible vocation to help the falcon fly. A hefty prize was offered. But, no one succeeded.
Finally the king thought..perhaps I should summon someone close to nature..someone with no pompous prefix to his name..no Dr or Professor,or Sir or Datuk ...Let's try the humble gamekeeper. So the gamekeeper was summoned and given the royal decree, to get the falcon to fly.
Early next morning, when the King stuck his head out the window to seep the fresh morning air, his heart was filled with joy when he saw two falcons flying gracefully high up in the sky, soaring and dipping gracefully in concert. He immediately summoned the gamekeeper to ask what magic spell he had cast to accomplish what seemed to be the impossible.

The gamekeeper looked incredulously at the king..and said "It wuz easy sire...I just cut off the branch..."

2 comments:

Gita Madhu said...

LOL! I think the Almighty keeps doing that to us all the time.

ummi said...

True Gita..all the time..
And we hang on to what ever remnants left..and He cut it some more..until we dare to fly :)
He loves us that much...