Monday, January 28, 2008

The Making of an Animal Rights Activist?


It was a peaceful and lazy Sunday afternoon, round about 3 pm. I was lazing around in my room, reminiscing about the 30 year reunion my alumni organized yesterday. Such an eventful day..I thought…and thank God I am still alive to meet all these wonderful people who have made such a mark one way or the other in my life.....when suddenly

“What the hell do u think you are doing?” an angry voice rang out breaking the peace.
Now that voice is familiar…I thought.

“This cat pooed on my roof! Is this your cat?" came a male voice, equally angry.

“My cats are always in my house..they only come out when I am out..anyways, it doesn’t matter whether it’s my cat or anyone’s cat, you can’t do that to animals!” that familiar voice retorted in anger.

I was wondering what happened…apparently Zara saw this neighbour who was walking with his wife carrying a heavy wooden rod and chasing a cat. He aparently hit the poor cat with a vengeance and being an animal lover, Zara just wouldn't have it.

"You can't do that to cats, you know! It’s a sin!" Zara screamed with anger, by then she was already shivering. "If I catch you doing that again, you watch it! I will report you to the SPCA!”

“Report la..I don’t care” he shouted back at her and rushed towards her brandishing the stick. Zara stood her ground and just stared at him with defiance.

Thank God his wife had the wisdom to stop him,"Ok ok, you take care of your cat ok..." she said as she pulled her husband away from my dear daughter, trying her best to calm him down. Apparently they just walked away after that..

I am so proud of Zara for having the courage to stand up for what she believe is right.

It reminds me of the time when many years ago, I saw a baby goat, a kid, which fell into a drain, without much calculation, I climbed down to try and save it, only to find out that !) the kid was too heavy for me to carry..and worse 2)I couldn't climb out because the drain was too deep ..how i got in, i can't remember....so while the kid bleated ...i had to put aside my embarassment and joined it in chorus "Help! Help!"..No one except for the young chinese neighbours who carried me and the kid out knew about this...I wouldn't leave the drain until they picked up the kid too .. but that's another story …

I know most people would just turn a blind eye to what this man did. Well done my daughter..you are really something and I know you will be great, just as all your brothers and sisters will too. It doesn't matter what other small minded people who only know how to look for our shortcomings think and say. I am really really proud of you

No comments: